Raz Rant

Friday, May 05, 2006

Rollerblading for Exercise

Another outdoor activity I like to do to get some exercise is inline skating. It is a sport that takes some balance and coordination. In some respects, inline skating is better than running because you can cover more ground and there is less impact on the hip, knee, and ankle joints. It is a great aerobic activity that can really get your heart rate going, and build your leg muscles too.

My favorite brand of inline skates is Rollerblade, and I am currently using classic Rollerblade Macroblades. They are still reasonably quick, as inline skates go, but I am going to get a new pair sometime soon. I'll probably get another pair of Rollerblades since I have liked my Macroblades so much. The skates I'll get will have slightly larger wheels, so I can go a bit faster. I am interested in high quality fitness inline skates--not trick skates (too slow) or speed skates, which seem to have less ankle support. I'd like something that is fast, has plenty of support, and is very comfortable.

The places I like to go Rollerblading are a lengthy, wooded path near Pleasantville, NY. The surface is level and it goes on for miles. It is also not too crowded. I also go to the Kensico Dam park in White Plains, NY. There are often rollerbladers at Kensico, and it is a popular spot to go to in my area. Occasionally, I'll go into NYC to skate Central Park, and I've still got to give the Greenway path in Manhattan a try. The main Central Park loop is probably not for most beginners as it can get quite busy with bikers, runners, bladers, and walkers, and there are some hills. So, if you skate the main loop of Central Park, you should have plenty of blading experience under your belt--especially during busy times. One of my favorite places to skate in San Francisco is the wide, smooth sidewalk that runs roughly from SBC Park to Pier 39. It is great place to skate, and it is suitable for beginners when there is not much pedestrian traffic (which is usually the case). You might encounter pedestrian traffic there if a baseball game is going on or at the Ferry Building. In LA, there is the path that runs along the beach, but that can sometimes get busy with bikers, etc. It is usually not a bad place to go either as it is smooth and level. Are you an inline skater? Where do you go blading?

When skating, I always wear protective gear--a helmet, wrist guards, knee pads, and sometimes I add elbow pads. I primarily stick to level areas, and I am not one to do outrageous stunts such as jumps and grinds. I'm a fitness skater, who likes to cruise along, and get some speed going.

If you are beginner skater, stick to smooth, level areas and learn how to brake effectively. Also, if you are a beginner skater, I would not suggest you go out in any car traffic, which could be hazardous. I am more of an advanced skater, but I still much prefer to go to areas that are free from automobile traffic. If you know of a great place to skate, do let me know as I am on the lookout for other fine inline skating places.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home