Raz Rant

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Mountain Biking

I recently went mountain biking around town to get some exercise. It is one of my favorite outdoor activities. I really prefer mountain bikes to road bikes—even when riding on pavement. The riding position on mountain bikes is more comfortable, and the bikes are much more rugged. For example, you do not have to true the wheels as much; the wheel rims don't get bent out of shape when traveling over potholes; and flats are much less likely to occur with mountain bikes. I repaired many flats on my road bike, but I rarely had to do that on my mountain bike. When riding around town, I jump off curbs a bit and I do not have to worry about damaging the bike. So, road bikes are much more sensitive to damage. On the other hand, road bikes are significantly faster, but you can still go at a quick rate on a mountain bike. Mountain bikes are also great for off-road riding and varied terrain can be fun and challenging. Sometimes when I go riding, I bring my CamelBak for fluid replenishment. It is definitely worth having on longer rides. I'd also recommend getting cycling shoes as the stiffer soles seem to transfer the power to the pedals better, and they are comfortable. If you are interested in reading about mountain bikes, you can try Mountain Bike Action magazine. Well, if you are a biker, don't forget to wear a helmet and keep up your cadence!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home